Iowa State University’s Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering (ISU CCEE) celebrated multiple successes during the month of September. In U.S. News and World Report’s most recent rankings, ISU CCEE’s undergraduate program tied for 27th in civil engineering among institutions whose highest degree is a doctorate. In a fall 2018 release of university enrollment numbers, the department housed 708 civil engineering and 305 construction engineering undergraduate students. The department also housed 199 graduate students.
On Thursday, Sept. 13, James L. and Katherine S. Melsa Dean of Engineering Sarah Rajala welcomed the college community to the new academic year with the ISU College of Engineering Convocation. In addition, 15 Iowa State College of Engineering faculty and staff received the highest Iowa State University honors at the annual awards ceremony on Friday, Sept. 14 at 3:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union Great Hall. (Refer to article for details concerning award photos below. Photos courtesy Jean Dubberke/Bill Beach/Christopher Gannon).
Charles W. Schafer Faculty Award
- An Chen, assistant professor of structural engineering (photo at bottom of page)
Joseph C. and Elizabeth A. Anderlik Faculty Award
- Kaoru Ikuma, assistant professor of environmental engineering (top row, far left)
New Named Faculty Position
- David Sanders, Greenwood Department Chair in Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering (top row, far right)
Superior Engineering Teacher Award
- Larry Cormicle, senior lecturer of construction engineering (top row, second from right)
- Simon Laflamme, (top row, second from left) associate professor of structural engineering, and Randall Geiger, Tunc and Lale Doluca Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering – Tire sensing method for enhanced safety and controllability of vehicles
- Austin Downey, graduate assistant researcher in mechanical engineering, and Simon Laflamme, associate professor of structural engineering – Apparatus, method and system for high capacity band brake type variable friction damping of movement of structures
- Eric Cochran, professor of chemical and biological engineering; Christopher Williams, (top row, center) Gerald and Audrey Olson Professor in Civil Engineering (geotechnical engineering); and Nacu Hernandez, research scientist in chemical and biological engineering – Thermoplastic elastomers via atom transfer radical polymerization of plant oil
Regents Award for Faculty Excellence
The award is presented by the Iowa Board of Regents to recognize tenured faculty members who are outstanding university citizens and who have rendered significant service to the university or the state of Iowa.
- Say Kee Ong, Cerwick Faculty Professor (environmental engineering) (bottom row, center)
Margaret Ellen White Graduate Faculty Award
Established by a long-time staff member of the ISU Graduate College, the award recognizes superior performance by a member of the graduate faculty in enriching the student-professor relationship and enabling students to finish their work in a timely and scholarly manner.
- Halil Ceylan, professor of geotechnical engineering (bottom row, far left)
Award for Academic Advising
The award recognizes outstanding performance by an academic advisor over an extended period of time.
- Larry Cormicle, senior lecturer of construction engineering (bottom row, far right)
Award for Mid-Career Achievement in Research
The award recognizes a tenured or tenure-track faculty member who has demonstrated exemplary research performance or scholarship accomplishments as documented by peers or experts in the field.
- Halil Ceylan, professor of structural engineering (bottom row, second from right)
Award for Achievement in Intellectual Property
The award recognizes individuals or teams of faculty or professional and scientific staff for outstanding university-based achievements in producing intellectual property.
- Chris Williams, professor of geotechnical engineering (bottom row, second from left)
- Eric Cochran, associate professor of chemical and biological engineering
The Charles W. Schafer Faculty Award was presented to An Chen (right), assistant professor of structural engineering.
Follow ISU CCEE on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn (search “Iowa State University Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering” and “ISUConE”). NEW: now follow ISU CCEE on Snapchat and Instagram for the latest updates.