- I E 348 Final Projects – Spring 2022 May 12, 2022
Students in I E 348: Solidification Processes had some fun as they ended the semester with a Design-Cut-Weld project.
- ABE Students Build a CVT Transmission Using Mathematical Models for Capstone Project May 11, 2022
This year, seniors Dean Woodwell, Collin Jones and Colin Kyhl built their capstone project for the Cyclone Power Pullers, an engineering club on campus designing a tractor for the ASABE International Quarter Scale Competition.
- Cyclone Engineering student marshal and outstanding seniors May 9, 2022
Congratulations to the spring 2022 Cyclone Engineering student marshal and outstanding seniors.
- ABE research using ultraviolet light produces safer, cleaner air that ‘smells like toothpaste’ May 5, 2022
Breathing cleaner air has become more relevant than ever in the last few years. What if, along with cleaner air, it smelled fresh and minty, too? For Iowa State University Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Professor Jacek Koziel, studying how to have clean air and reduce odor is nothing new. He has been in pursuit of healthy air quality for the last 15 years, using ultraviolet light to filter out airborne pathogens and produce air that ends up smelling like toothpaste.
- ABE Alum Mitchell Hora Builds Soil Health Company From the Ground Up May 4, 2022
The 19th person in his family line to go to Iowa State, and coming from a seventh generation farm in small-town Iowa, Hora started his adventure in the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering only knowing he had an interest in agriculture and a family history at Iowa State. Little did he know that in four years, he would have built an international soil-health business from the ground up.
- Software Engineering Students Innovate at Iowa State May 2, 2022
Iowa State University Software Engineering students showcased for innovation at 2022 Ignite Innovation Showcase.
- ISU’s Fluid Power Club Brings Home First Place Title in National Fluid Power Vehicle Challenge April 29, 2022
Iowa State University’s Fluid Power team brought home the first place title in the National Fluid Power Association’s Fluid Power Vehicle Challenge last Friday.
- ‘Cyclone Energy’ Competes in Innovative Design Competition April 27, 2022
This year, student chapters in the United States and Canada are participating in the Electrical Contracting Innovation Challenge (ECIC), a design competition challenging teams to solve problems in new, innovative ways.
- ABE Provides Free Hazardous Safety Training to Companies and Employees April 26, 2022
ISU Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering teaching professor James Wright and associate professor Nir Keren just received an OSHA, U.S. Department of Labor, Susan Harwood Training grant to implement hazard communications and chemical hazards training to ‘prepare employees, supervisors and owners of manufacturing, construction and agricultural companies for regulatory safety requirements, suggestions and strategies for work protection.’
- Chemical engineering grad student, Abigail Koep, awarded Graduate Research Fellowship from prestigious NSF program April 26, 2022
Abigail Koep, entered the chemical and biological engineering Ph.D. program in 2022 and is one of only three ISU students to receive the illustrious Graduate Research Fellowship this year.
- NASA International Space Station manager Montalbano newest member of AerE Hall of Distinguished Alumni April 25, 2022
Department of Aerospace Engineering alumnus Joel Montalbano, manager of NASA’s International Space Station (ISS) program, was inducted into the department’s Hall of Distinguished Alumni during a banquet in his honor April 21.
- ME/HCI grad student to advance VR research with support from prestigious NSF grant April 25, 2022
Roselynn Conrady, Ph.D. student in mechanical engineering (ME) and human computer interaction (HCI), has been accepted into the prestigious NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program. She is one of just five students from Iowa State University to receive this honor. The five-year fellowship includes three years of financial support including an annual stipend of $34,000 and a cost of education allowance of $12,000 to the institution.
- Preparing Communities for Climate Change: CCEE’s Lu Liu Receives Grant to Determine Climate Change Vulnerabilities in Rural and Urban Communities April 22, 2022
From small farms to big cities, natural disasters, rising temperatures and other factors of climate change impact everyone. Lu Liu, assistant professor in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, is using modeling to look into the future on the long-term impacts of climate change for two different ends of the population spectrum: urban and rural communities.
- MSE’s Shan Jiang promoted to associate professor with tenure April 22, 2022
The Iowa Board of Regents recently approved Shan Jiang’s promotion to associate professor of materials science and engineering with tenure, effective July 1.
- Entrepreneurial ME alum helps to establish brew lab at Iowa State April 21, 2022
When John Blichmann was a student at Iowa State University in the late 1980s, there was no formal course on how to brew beer. More than three decades later such a course does exist, and it was made possible because of Blichmann’s generosity.
CoE in the Media