- Power of the team fuels ENDURE’s work September 28, 2023
The Electric Network Disaster Mitigation for Utilities in Rural Environment (ENDURE) team, led by Alice Alipour, associate professor of civil, construction and environmental engineering, won Iowa State’s Interdisciplinary Team Research Award for their work designed to help utilities develop risk mitigation strategies.
- New job, new CAREER Award; Wenjie Xia’s first semester in Aerospace Engineering is notable September 25, 2023
Wenjie Xia joined Iowa State’s Department of Aerospace Engineering faculty just before the start of the fall 2023 semester. Having barely gotten his feet wet in his new job, he was notified that he was the recipient of a National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award.
- Shape-changing implants, bioprinted tissue and next-gen adhesives September 15, 2023
Alina Kirillova, assistant professor of materials science and engineering, runs the Active Polymer Materials Lab with the goal of using polymer-based materials for biomedical applications.
- Honoring excellence: Cyclone Engineering faculty and staff award winners, named faculty positions and new patents September 7, 2023
Congratulations to 2023 College of Engineering faculty and staff award winners, new named faculty positions, and patent recipients.
- Dr. Manure: Filling fields at the forefront of environmental awareness September 7, 2023
Not all of us spend a lot of time talking about it – that is, until we smell it. But for Dr. Manure, it’s a different story. Dan Andersen, also known as Dr. Manure, is an associate professor in the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering that’s pretty much the expert to go to on the topic of manure.
- Art Moeller: Bridging the Gap Between Classrooms and Industry September 6, 2023
With a truckload of real-world experience, Art Moeller is bringing a unique perspective to the classroom, sharing real-world knowledge with problem-solvers in the making in the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering.
- ‘Broadband Prairie’ rural wireless project moves to public phase of researching, testing September 5, 2023
The deployment of this infrastructure in and around Ames means the $16 million ARA Wireless Living Lab for Smart and Connected Rural Communities is moving to a public testing phase.
- Jun Cui and ChaoChao Pan get double win in R&D 100 awards August 25, 2023
Cui, and graduate student Chaochao Pan, in conjunction with Ames National Laboratory, invented a continuous hot-roll process to manufacture nanograin neo magnets. It won in the mechanical/materials category and won bronze in the green tech category.
- SMART DoD scholarship for graduate student Perruci August 22, 2023
Department of Aerospace Engineering graduate student Alex Perruci has been awarded a three-year SMART scholarship from the Department of Defense (DoD).
- Welcoming Iowa State College of Engineering’s Kiewit Scholars Program 2023-2024 cohort August 22, 2023
The Kiewit Scholars Program at Iowa State University has recently announced the selection of students for its second-year cohort. The program comprises a diverse group of individuals, including 8 incoming freshmen and 8 currently enrolled Iowa State students.
- Welcoming new Cyclone Engineering faculty members August 22, 2023
Twenty new faculty members join the College of Engineering this fall.
- Strong new product: Jacob Elliot co-founds startup that safely and easily monitors athletes’ strength levels August 21, 2023
Electrical engineering major Jacob Elliot co-launched True Force Technologies – and the startup accelerated their business with the help of the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship.
- Ready to Level Up? How Game2Work is using serious gaming to transform engineering education August 18, 2023
Iowa State’s Game2Work is on a quest to use serious gaming to solve a serious challenge: Meet the national need for STEM professionals.
- Where there’s a heart, there’s a way: Cyclone construction engineer Bukola Oni’s journey to supporting inland waterways and the world August 17, 2023
Oni wants to solve cross-disciplinary engineering problems with her Cyclone education: “I hope to be a change agent wherever I find myself.”
- Research, explore, and connect through APEX^E August 8, 2023
Both Caleb Dowd and Aiden Lee said yes to APEX^E and said that their summer of research and connection was even better than they imagined.
CoE in the Media