- Varun Prasanna gains confidence, skills at CyPy November 30, 2023
“A coding bootcamp is also a great way to build relationships with like-minded people of similar coding experience, so working together is great when you get stuck. The same idea can be applied to undergrad research, as learning something new is always beneficial, as you never know when you will need to use it,” Prasanna said.
- Advancing “placenta-on-a-chip” with sensing and imaging technology November 28, 2023
Nicole Hashemi and her students will advance a “placenta-on-a-chip” – which models how medicines, nutrients and other substances are passed from mother to fetus – with a new, three-year, $350,000 National Science Foundation Mid-Career Advancement grant.
- AIChE student chapter again records successes at annual meeting – including another Outstanding Student Chapter honor November 16, 2023
The American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) student chapter from Iowa State University has once again returned from the national Annual AIChE meeting with some important honors.
- From industry to grad school: Katie O’Donnell found what she was looking for at Iowa State November 15, 2023
“After getting my bachelor’s in MSE, I moved into industry, getting a job at a materials testing company. Near the end of my time there, we started to get additive manufactured parts more frequently, which piqued my interest and prompted me to return to grad school. When choosing grad schools, the MSE department at Iowa State specifically really caught my interest after I did a campus visit.
- Curiosity as infinite as the night sky: AJ Perron and Judson Martin’s podcast explores the universe November 14, 2023
Podcasting pair and Cyclone Engineers make space for curiosity and conversation on their podcast, Universe-ity.
- Iowa State students embrace new biomedical engineering major November 6, 2023
Cyclone Engineering’s new major in biomedical engineering has quickly attracted 50 students in its first semester.
- Alumnus Subra Suresh receives National Medal of Science, the nation’s highest scientific honor November 1, 2023
Subra Suresh (M.S. ’79 mechanical engineering) was recognized for his “pioneering research across engineering, physical sciences and life sciences, and particularly for advancing the study of material science and its application to other disciplines.”
- Excellence, leadership, inspiration: Cyclone Engineers honored with top college alumni awards October 27, 2023
Four outstanding Cyclone Engineers will receive College of Engineering alumni awards at the 2023 ISU Alumni Association Honors and Awards Ceremony.
- Intelligent roadmap: Collaborative, cutting-edge methods to create new alloys October 25, 2023
Anson Marston Distinguished Professor Duane Johnson and professor Jun Cui have been working together for years, collaborating on finding solutions for real-world problems while improving materials and research processes.
- Iowa Cyber Hub enlists ‘Cybersecurity Ambassadors’ to help their communities October 24, 2023
“I’ve always had a goal of every Iowan understanding basic cybersecurity. But there’s only one of me and 3 million of them,” said Doug Jacobson. Soon there will be many more cyber guardians like Jacobson in Iowa as a legion of trained volunteers help their communities learn cybersecurity.
- For Matthew Poling, transferring means getting real experience in his field October 19, 2023
Matthew Poling knew he wanted to get his hands dirty after transferring to Iowa State, with in-the-field learning to help him grow into a career in the agricultural industry.
- Bethany Danley builds community for transfer students October 19, 2023
When Bethany Danley transferred to Iowa State, she found community in WiSE and Alpha Sigma Kappa Women in Technical Studies. Now she’s creating connections for new transfer students.
- Belle Finney: Cutting-edge opportunities at a national lab October 19, 2023
“It was nice coming from a smaller college to a department in a larger university that still maintains the support and communication of a smaller college.”
- James Rodgers’ first step after transferring? Hands-on research October 16, 2023
“Last summer, before I even started taking classes at Iowa State, I got experience working on using machine learning to predict the angle of view between two images of the same object, taken from different angles.”
- Exceptional contributions: Mufit Akinc and Ick-Jhin Rick Yoon inducted into MSE Hall of Fame October 16, 2023
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering inducted two new members to the Materials Science and Engineering Hall of Fame in a ceremony on Friday, Oct. 13 – honoring both for outstanding achievement and contributions to the discipline.
CoE in the Media