Each year, Iowa State’s Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering (CCEE) recognizes alumni of the CCEE department for their professional achievements, service to the profession, community and/or the department, and their high degree of character and integrity. There are two different recognitions: Hall of Fame and Distinguished Alumni. The Hall of Fame is a lifetime professional and service achievement award, while the Distinguished Alumni is for alumni who have significant professional achievement and service. This year, four alumni are being inducted into the Hall of Fame, and nine are being inducted as Distinguished Alumni.
The 2022 inductees have a plethora of engineering expertise and impact, including national and international leaders in public health, water/wastewater treatment, construction, geotechnical, structural design, construction materials, management and education. These inductees are pioneers in their fields, changing the way our civil, construction and environmental engineering work is done in the United States and around the world.
2022 Hall of Fame inductees:
- Craig K. Denny, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1971, master’s, 1973
- Richard L. Handy, master’s in civil engineering, 1953, doctorate,1956
- Jeff A. Smith, bachelor’s in construction engineering, 1983
- Rao Y. Surampalli, doctorate in civil engineering, 1985
2022 Distinguished Alumni inductees:
- Ronald G. Burg, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1977
- Michael J. Conzett, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1976, master’s, 1978
- Beth Duyvejonck, bachelor’s in construction engineering, 1997
- Pamela K. Harman, bachelor’s in construction engineering, 1979
- Jack F. McGuire, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1963
- Max Porter, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1965, master’s, 1968, doctorate, 1974
- Norman Riis, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1961
- Rudy J. Tekippe, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1965, master’s, 1966
- Shelley Mayne Wolff, bachelor’s in civil engineering, 1980
Nominations are vetted through a joint committee of the department’s two advisory councils, reviewed by the university and council executive committees, and then voted on by the Civil and Environmental Engineering External Advisory Council and the Construction Engineering Industry Advisory Council. If you’d like to nominate someone for 2023, please use this form. The nomination deadline is Aug. 1, 2022.
This year’s inductees will be honored at either the Construction Engineering Awards Banquet on April 14 or at the Civil and Environmental Engineering Awards Banquet on September 15.