The LSAMP IINSPIRE Annual Conference, held at Hawkeye Community College on Nov. 8, was a winning day for both students and staff of Iowa State University.
Two College of Engineering students brought home prizes for their original posters, while Katrina Williams—academic adviser in aerospace engineering—received the Outstanding Mentor Award for a faculty or staff member.
Edgardo Diaz, a senior in aerospace engineering, took first place in the experiential poster category with his poster, “Experiencing LabVIEW.”
The student favorite poster category was awarded to Esdras Murillo, a senior in electrical engineering. His poster was titled, “Annual Energy Consumption in a Community Lab and Analysis of the Electricity Flow.”
A mentor of ethnic students on both the Boone and Urban campuses of Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC), Murillo also received one of two Outstanding Student Mentor Awards.
Six other Iowa State students created posters for the contest:
- Stanley Barbel, senior in aerospace engineering: “How do Scallops Swim?”
- Jordan Becquer, junior in aerospace engineering: “Tracking Stress & Fatigue in Composite Structures”
- Nathalie Fuentes, senior in biochemistry: “Tumor Suppression in Leukemia – Identifying Target Genes of Tumor Suppressor Ikaros in Leukemia Cells”
- Courtnee Jackson, sophomore in aerospace engineering: “Center for Nondestructive Evaluation”
- Crystal Jones, junior in genetics: “Targeted Deletion of Zebrafish IncRNAis18 with TALENs” (Third place, research poster category)
- Jan Michael Lopez, junior in aerospace engineering: “L.A.S.E.R. (Light Aircraft Solar Extended Range)”
See the full list of awards here.